Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Build-A-Baby

No pictures today, just angry ramblings about a news story I just saw on channel 4.

I just watched a story about a genetic doctor in L.A. He has run a facility for roughly 10 years and help infertile parents to conceive. Through genetic manipulation, for the past few years, has developed a 100% success rate at assigning the sex of the baby and claims he is not far behind being selective to eye color, hair and other physical characteristics.

The story actually makes me sick. Babies are still one of God's greatest gifts and mysteries. If the baby comes out with your great-grandma's nose it is a blessing and exciting, you going to carry a part of them now. But to actually choose to have this random gift and blessing is just wrong.

I understand the genetic research and manipulation from this doctor may create babies that would normally be born with debilitating diseases, but only for the wealthy. Which is we eliminate it from one class what about the rest. And this totally puts a crimp on research for proper medicines and cures you have eliminated half the research group.

You are now able to do genetic testing to find out if your baby will be born with certain diseases. My husband and I did not participate in this and frankly we cannot see the point. It is our baby no matter what, no test will change the outcome of how they are born. All we can do it love it and take care of it the best we can. Why worry a whole pregnancy about a test result with so many false positives. Love what you get. Evrey baby born, regardless of health has a parent somewhere that will love them uncoditionally, trust me.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I only heard snippets fo the dr thing (next on 7...) But how selfish can you be? It's close (to me) to the "cloning" debate. And has no one ever thought about what happend to over bred dogs? Craziness, genetic issues...Isn't doing this just asking for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you more !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate what the doctor is doing.

    We did not get any testing done as well. I hate when people do that and then abort the baby if it is not 'perfect'. It makes me sick!

    ReplyDelete